This is my mom’s recipe.
I like to use fresh herbs and cheeses and I use my own sauce. Make your substitutes where you need to, but don’t tell Joe.
- Spaghetti Sauce (I use meat sauce, skip the meat and make this vegetarian)
- 3 lbs Ricotta Cheese
- 1-1/2 lbs Mozzarella Cheese (grated or sliced thinly)
- 1/4 lb fresh Romano Cheese
- 1/4 lb fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Oregano (more if fresh)
- 3-4 tbsp Parsley (more if fresh)
- Uncooked Lasagna Noodles (I use Barilla Sheets)
Mix together in a bowl for the filling:
Ricotta Cheese, Eggs, Oregano, Parsley, Sugar, 1 tbsp Romano Cheese, Salt & Pepper
In a 9 x 13 pan:
- Spoon enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Lay enough noodles to cover the sauce in a single layer.
- Spread a layer of filling over the dry noodles.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella, Romano & Parmesan over the filling.
- Repeat 2nd & 3rd layer.
- Top layer should end with Mozzarella, Romano, Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover with foil & bake @ 350° for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until top is golden and bubbly.