Serve hot with warm bread or croutons.
Cooker: 3 quart
Setting and Cook Time: LOW for 8 to 10 hours; petite peas added during last 30 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups green split peas, rinsed
- 5 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-size carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 smoked, cooked, meaty pork chop (or leftover bone from a small ham),
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas, thawed
- Salt to taste
- Place the split peas in the slow cooker; add the broth, onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Set the pork chop into the center of the crock. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours, until the split peas are completely tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the pork chop and shred the meat off the bone; discard the bone and set aside the meat. Using an immersion blender, or transferring to a food processor or blender, puree the soup, if you like a smooth soup; you can leave it chunky if you prefer. Return meat to the soup; add petite peas and cook for another 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt & pepper, and serve hot.