This is my grandmother’s recipe…the nutmeg gives them a deliciously unique flavor. The smell of them baking always makes me think of her.
1 cup Shortening or Butter ( I use organic shortening)
1/2 cup Confectionery Sugar
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 tablespoon Milk
2-1/2 cups of Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Cream shortening and sugars.
- Add egg, vanilla and milk and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg and salt.
- Add Dry Mixture to Cream Mixture and beat until smooth.
- Wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes for easy handling.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch.
- Cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake on cookie sheet at 350° for about 6-8 minutes or until firm and slightly golden.
Makes about 50-60 cookies depending on size of cookie cutter.
I usually double this for Christmas Cookies.