If I can make it, then it’s easy.
I just made this for dinner tonight, after seeing a few different recipes for it online.
This is the vegetarian, low carb version.
You can make a zucchini and meat version, or a zucchini and pasta version, but here I don’t use pasta or meat.
- 2 tbsp of garlic (I used the kind in a jar)
- garlic powder or minced garlic (I like garlic)
- black pepper- to taste
- parsley- to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- basil- to taste
- oregano- to taste
- that spicy Italian red flaked stuff you sprinkle on your food (what is it called??) to taste
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of plain, vegetarian spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 small block of mozzarella cheese
- 2 average size zucchini
- 3 large stalks of fresh broccoli
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, mix spaghetti sauce, spices, and onion.
- Slice the zucchini into long slices or round slices (I did round). Chop broccoli into small bits.
- Slice mozzarella cheese into strips or use shredded.
- In 9 X 11 pan (I used non-stick) spread the olive oil along the bottom of pan.
- Spread one layer of sliced zucchini on top of olive oil.
- Sprinkle Asiago and cheddar cheese on top of zucchini. Spread layer of sauce on top.
- Sprinkle broccoli, more Asiago and cheddar cheese on this first layer.
- Then spread another layer of sliced zucchini on top of this (this should use up both zucchinis).
- Cover with sauce.
- Spread mozzarella slices on the the top of the whole dish.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake in the oven (375 degrees) for 30 minutes.
Low carb dinner with lots of yummy veggies. One recipe I looked at, which follows this one closely, gave the following figures:
297 calories per serving
9.2 carbs per serving