This is a recipe that I got from my mother, who found it in the newspaper years ago.
It’s very light, and the homemade dressing is amazing!
- ground beef – 1 lb.
- garlic – 1 or 2 cloves, chopped fine
- cooking onion – 1 small, chopped fine
- iceberg lettuce – 1 head, chopped
- sweet onion – 1 small, chopped fine
- black olives – 4 oz., sliced
- tomatoes – 2, chopped
- avocado – 1, chopped
- black beans or kidney beans – 1 can, drained
- taco chips – 8 oz., crushed
- Monterrey or pepper jack cheese – 6 oz., shredded
- French dressing (your favorite brand, or try the recipe that follows)
- Saute the beef, cooking onion, and garlic (use a little oil if needed), until the beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain the beef.
- Put it in a large glass salad bowl or rectangular glass pan.
- Add the lettuce, sweet onion, olives, tomatoes, avocado, and beans.
- Add the taco chips and toss with the French dressing.
- Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese.
- Can be served cold or at room temperature.
- Cider vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Olive oil – 1/2 cup
- Dijon mustard – 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves, crushed (I use one)
- Ketchup – 2 Tbsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Pepper to taste
Throw all the ingredients in a jar with a tight lid, and shake until well blended.