A crumbly cookie bar with a melt in your mouth texture
Slightly tweaked recipe from Ghiradelli (my favorite chocolate!)
- 1/2 cup organic shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bar (4 oz.) Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate, chopped and divided or 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bar (4 oz.) Ghiradelli white chocolate, chopped and divided or 4 oz white chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and divided (substitute walnuts, macadamia nuts or your favorite)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in half of the semi-sweet and white chocolate and 1/2 cup of the pecans.
- Spread in greased 9″ square baking pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining semi-sweet and white chocolate.
- Cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes or until chocolates are melted.*
- Swirl chocolates with small knife to marbelize. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Cool in pan until firm, then cut into bars.
* If you substitute chips for the chopped chocolate, a few extra minutes may be needed for the chips to melt.