Decadent chocolate, rich & heavenly
(Republished – Frosting Recipe has been changed)
- 1 cup butter; softened
- 1/2 cup organic shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or Bundt pan.
- Cream the butter and shortening together in a large mixing bowl (I use my electric mixer)
- Add the sugar and mix until well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well blended.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa and add alternatively with the milk to the batter, beating well.
- Add the vanilla and beat till well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and shake gently to distribute the batter evenly and eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan before turning out onto a cake plate.
- Spread the frosting liberally and evenly over the top and sides of the cake.
- Let cool completely and keep covered till ready to serve.
- 2 cups confectionery sugar
- about 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghiradelli)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- With an electric mixer combine the confectionery sugar, about half of the evaporated milk and the butter.
- Add unsweetened cocoa powder, to taste, and mix well, alternating with the rest of the evaporated milk. *
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Beat until light and fluffy, 5 minutes minimally
- Spread the frosting on the cake.
*If the frosting is too running, add a little more confectionery sugar, too thick a little more evaporated skim milk.