This is a favorite recipe of mine….it’s my mom’s!
1/3 cup flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 beaten egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large saucepan combine the flour or cornstarch with the sugar & salt, set aside.
- In another saucepan, scald the milk.
- Gradually stir the scalded milk into the flour/cornstarch, sugar & salt mixture.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
- Refrigerate until chilled and set, 1-2 hours.
- Top with real whipped cream!