I got this recipe from Country Living magazine…maybe 10 years ago?
If you like spice cake…you will love this!
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup(s) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup(s) pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground nutmeg
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting (Below)
Preheat oven to 350°
Prepare cake pan:
- Lightly coat three 8-inch cake pans with softened butter.
- Cut three 8-inch circles out of parchment paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans.
- Lightly coat the paper circles with butter and set aside.
Make the batter:
- Cream butter until smooth in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed.
- Add the sugars and mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Set aside.
- Combine the pumpkin purée, buttermilk, and vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
- In thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture, blending well after each addition until smooth.
Bake the cake:
- Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean — 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in the pan on wire racks for 30 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and return to the wire racks until completely cool.
Assemble the cake:
- Place one layer on a cake plate and top with one-third recipe of Pumpkin Cream-Cheese Frosting.
- Repeat with the second and third layers.
- Serve or store refrigerated for up to four days.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package(s) (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup(s) pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup(s) (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 4 cup(s) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Blend the cream cheese, pumpkin purée, butter, orange juice, zest, and vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed until smooth.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and creamy — about 5 more minutes.