These doughnuts are quick & easy to make from refrigerator biscuits.
And, they’re delicious!
- Oil, for frying
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 5 tbsp milk , divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 2 cans large buttermilk biscuits
- Chopped nuts
These are best made and eaten when fresh.
- Heat 2 inches oil to 350° in a large pot or Dutch oven, I used a Fry Daddy Jr.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine the ground cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- For vanilla icing, whisk together 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar, about 1 tablespoons of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a small bowl & 1 tsp softened butter, heat 15 seconds in the microwave, set aside.
- For chocolate icing, whisk together 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar, 1/8 cup of cocoa powder and about 1 tablespoon of milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- I flattened the individual biscuits and stretched them into rectangles so that they were almost translucent in the middle.
- Or use a small biscuit or cookie cutter, or a water/soda bottle lid, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit.
- Fry the doughnuts in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side…fry the doughnut holes too!
- Drain on paper towels and while still warm, brush with a small amount of melted butter and then toss them in the cinnamon & sugar. Leave as is or decorate with sprinkles or chopped nuts.
- Or brush with the vanilla or chocolate glaze.
- Top with sprinkles, nuts, etc.