This is Pioneer Woman’s Recipe
and it is the ultimate, most decadent macaroni & cheese ever.
Definitely, something for special occasions…
- 4 cups Macaroni
- 8 Tablespoons Butter (Salted Butter)
- 2 whole Medium Onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- 10 slices Regular Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease (reserved From Bacon Slices)
- ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Or 2% Milk
- ½ cups Half-and-Half
- 2 whole Egg Yolks, Beaten
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- ½ cups Grated Gruyere Cheese
- ½ cups Grated Fontina Cheese
- ½ cups Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 4 ounces, weight Chevre (soft Goat Cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni for half the time of the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Fry bacon until slightly, but not overly, crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve grease.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter (and add 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease for good measure!). Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add salt & pepper to taste. (Do not undersalt!)
- Beat egg yolks and drizzle 1/4 cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot.