This Recipe is Rachael Ray’s
This is outrageously good, definitely worth it to make it than buy Vodka Sauce in the jar.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan in a slow stream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (32 ounces)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 16 ounces pasta, such as penne rigate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat.
- Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots.
- Gently saute shallots for 3 to 5 minutes to develop their sweetness.
- Add vodka to the pan, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about 1 cup.
- Reduce vodka by half, this will take 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes.
- Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente (with a bite to it).
- While pasta cooks, prepare your salad or other side dishes.
- Stir cream into sauce.
- When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat.
- Drain pasta.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.