These are perfect for Thanksgiving Dinner or to add a little something special to any meal.
Makes about 18 biscuits.
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup shortening, chilled
- 1-1/2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 425°
- Sift the flour, baking powder, allspice, cloves & salt in a large bowl.
- Use the tips of your fingers to blend in the brown sugar.
- Cut in the chilled butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or pulse in a food processor until the mixture resembles a coarse, crumbly meal.
- Sir in the mashed sweet potatoes and knead until the dough just holds together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently for 1 minute, adding a little flour as necessary to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Pat the dough in a 1/2 inch thick circle and let it rest, covered with a clean towel for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut out the biscuits with a 2 inch round cutter, dipped in flour.
- Gather the scraps, pat out again, and cut into biscuits.
- Arrange them about 3/4 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet and brush the tops with milk.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.